Experience and Care You Can Rely On

Can I modify a divorce court order in New Jersey?

On Behalf of | Mar 29, 2023 | Divorce

After the divorce, each party has obligations to fulfill in various areas decided during proceedings. The court provides orders which are final and enforceable.

However, post-divorce life can be unpredictable. Significant life changes might compel you to seek modifications in various details of your divorce. In this case, you could file a motion to make appropriate changes.

By doing so, you can modify the following:

  • Child support amount
  • Alimony or spousal support
  • Child custody setup
  • Parenting time or visitation arrangements
  • Child relocation
  • Child emancipation
  • Notice of noncompliance to divorce orders
  • Medical reimbursements

Still, the court will examine your requested modifications. Then, they will decide whether to grant your request or deny it.

How do I file a motion?

You can file a motion by following these steps:

  • Complete the necessary forms.
  • Select a motion date at the court that granted your divorce.
  • Create copies of your filled-out forms and the modified order, including a personal copy to keep in file.
  • Black out specific details in the copies you are sending to the court.
  • Include the filing fee.
  • Mail your documents to the court or upload them on the judiciary electronic document submission (JEDS) system.
  • Send your former spouse a copy of the documents, ensuring they receive it 24 days before your motion date.

After filing a motion, your former spouse could respond by filing a certification or cross-motion. After submitting these documents, the judge will examine all the evidence and arguments before granting or denying the modification.

You or your former spouse could also request an oral argument to discuss matters in person. The process will conclude once the judge provides a signed order indicating the decision.