Experience and Care You Can Rely On

How Will Your Move Affect Your Child Custody Agreement?

When a custodial parent is presented with a better employment opportunity in another state or any other favorable out-of-state opportunity, it is important for the parent to not only consider how the move may affect the child, but also to consider the importance of how the move will affect his or her relationship with the other parent.

Move-away cases involve delicate issues that significantly affect everyone involved — parents and children. Child custody dispute lawyer Michael J. Stein Attorney At Law represents clients throughout South Jersey through family negotiations and litigation arising from a parent’s petition to relocate with the child out of state.

Removal/Relocation of Children Out of New Jersey

When a custodial parent wishes to relocate with the child to another state, consent must first be obtained from the noncustodial parent. Otherwise, if consent cannot be obtained, the parent must first request permission from the court before the move. If a parent relocates with the child without gaining prior approval, the parent may be held in contempt of court for violating the existing custody/visitation arrangement.

In order for the court to approve the relocation and removal of the child from New Jersey, the custodial parent must demonstrate:

  • That there are good faith reasons for the move
  • That there is a realistic visitation arrangement that will not adversely affect the noncustodial parent’s visitation rights
  • That it is in the child’s best interests to remain with the custodial parent and move
  • That the move is in the child’s best interest (how the move will better the life of the child)

Experienced Guidance Through Child Custody Disputes

Whether you proposed the move or are against it, we understand the many concerns parents have when confronted with situations like yours. Are your parental rights in jeopardy? How will you get to see your child if the relocation is granted? Will the other parent’s objection to the move be successful? At the law office of Michael J. Stein Attorney At Law, we understand that time with your child is precious. We are dedicated to protecting the parental rights of divorced and unmarried parents as well as preserving the best interests of their children.

We strive to resolve relocation-related child custody disputes in an amicable manner, whenever possible, in order to reduce the emotional disruption to the child. However, when necessary, we put more than 25 years of experience to work for clients in representing them in court.

Schedule a Free Consultation: 856-291-0549

If you have questions about your legal rights or would like to discuss your child custody dispute with an experienced attorney, contact us to schedule a free initial consultation. We offer flexible appointment scheduling and accept credit cards.